This program features the complete story of how John Newton, a slave ship captain and self-proclaimed “wretch,” was inspired to write Amazing Grace. He devotes his life to God and becomes an ordained minister. It is all here, the amazing story of Amazing Grace. This DVD also includes the stories behind these four hymns:
1. It Is Well With My Soul – Horatio Spafford, a man blessed beyond measure, is rocked by a succession of personal tragedies. Sorrow becomes hope as he pens one of the most profound expressions of faith ever recorded.
2. Silent Night – Austrian parish priest Joseph Mohr’s poem, the only song he ever wrote, and schoolteacher Franz Gruber’s simple and haunting music, capture the beauty and wonder of the birth of Christ in the carol that took on a life of its own.
3. How Great Thou Art – The beauty and power of a thunderstorm inspired Swedish minister Carl Boberg to write a poem that over the years will be translated and transformed into what is perhaps the world’s most beloved hymn of worship.
4. Just As I Am – Charlotte Elliott wrote this song in 1835 never realizing 100 years later, in 1934, a young man named Billy Graham would answer God’s call on his life hearing “Just As I Am.” That song was used in the Billy Graham Crusades throughout the 20th century and it became the title of his 1997 autobiography, “Just As I Am.”
5. What A Friend We Have In Jesus – A poem Joseph Scriven wrote to his ailing mother is set to music and becomes one of the world’s greatest hymns, and the legacy of a man who dedicated his life to helping the sick and poor.
DVD Amazing Grace: Hymns That Changed The World is in the following collections:
NEVER MISS A DEAL!
Sign up for our mailing list to hear about new releases and special prices.