"Philippians is so simple and at the same time so profound that it speaks profitably to Christians at every level of spiritual understanding, age and maturity." As James Montgomery Boice points out, no book in the Bible is so filled with joy as Philippians. Even though Paul faced possible execution for his faith, he managed to remain joyful in the midst of terrible circumstances.
Beyond providing encouragement, Philippians also contains a wealth of great themes. As Boice explains, it covers most of the major doctrines of the Christian faith and is at the same time extremely practical. Topics covered include
- "The Secret of Spiritual Fruit" (1:9-11)
- "What Is Christianity?" (1:21)
- "The Truth about Jesus Christ" (2:6)
- "What Are Your Goals?" (2:14-16)
- "Knowing the Living Christ" (3:10-11)
- "Getting Along with Other Christians" (4:2-5)
- "The God Who Provides" (4:19)
"If you study it," writes Boice, "Philippians will point you to Christ - He is the dominant presence of Philippians, as He is throughout the Word of God."