The Momentous Event: A discussion on scripture teaching on the second advent
0 in stock. Order now for delivery when our stock arrives (Typically 3-4 weeks)
This little volume sets forth in orderly and eminently readable fashion what most Calvinistic teachers believe concerning ‘the Second Advent and questions related thereto’. With orthodox Christians of every age, the author holds that our Lord’s return will be personal, visible, sudden and unexpected, glorious and triumphant. Of three views styled respectively post-millennialism, pre-millennialism and non-millennialism, he advocates the last named as scriptural and shows that it has been maintained by a large majority of the Fathers and Reformers of the Church. In two valuable chapters dealing with the interpretation of prophecy, he points out that the literalist view leads logically to absurdities and is not adopted by the writers of the New Testament, who specifically state that many of the Old Testament predictions have been fulfilled, albeit in a spiritual sense…
A general consideration of N.T. teaching on the subject, is followed by a more detailed review of the doctrine of the Gospels, Epistles and Apocalypse, special attention being devoted to the significance of the “millennium” of Revelation chapter 20. Here is a book that will well repay study by those who seek to understand truth that is basic to Christian faith and hope.
The best book for its size on eschatology, on end-time matters. Still highly recommendable. One of my favorite books.
– Derek Thomas
Table of Contents:
- The Momentous Event
- ‘Post,’ ‘Pre,’ or ‘Non’
- The Fathers and the Millennium
- The Reformers and the Millennium
- The Interpretation of Old Testament Prophecy
- The New Testament Interpretation of Old Testament Prophecy
- Some General Considerations from the New Testament
- Christ’s Teaching as to His Second Coming
- The Second Coming in Early Apostolic Preaching
- The Victory over Death
- New Heavens and a New Earth
- Three Views of Revelation
- The Witness of Revelation
- The Pre-Millennial View of Revelation 20
- Satan, a Defeated and Doomed Foe
- Is the Momentous Event Near?
- Appendix: The Seventy Weeks of Daniel 9